turned out well, as it lifted
me from my doldrums
- 2017/05/01: LOGAN (2017): Heckuva final Wolverine movie for Hugh Jackman. Excellent performances by all the cast. GOOD STUFF.
- 2017/05/12: RED (2010): Based on a pretty excellent comicbook by Warren Ellis and Cully Hamner, this Bruce Willis, Helen Mirren, Morgan Freeman, John Malkovich movie should have been better. Wasn’t awful, but wasn’t really that great either.
- 207/05/12: FRANK MILLER’S: THE SPIRIT (2008): Frank Miller’s directorial debut gets a lot of grief, but I for one really enjoy it. The art direction is amazing, the stylization (that usually would annoy me) seems just right here. It’s an odd movie, for sure, but it is definitely Frank’s movie, as >inspired< by Will Eisner, but I’m not sure it’s a film Eisner would made.
- 2017/05/13: BEGINNERS (2010): I love this movie. Saw it twice in the theater. Have rewatched it a few times. A heartbreaking romance, but a lot more than just that. Man, I dig it.
- 2017/05/14: ALEXANDER (2004): If you’re looking for a dramatic, bloody, 3.5-hour epic movie about the life and death of Alexander the Great, here you are. Impressive production, so-so movie. But dang, the story of Alexander, having conquered most of the known world, and dead by 32, sure makes my “achievements” at age 43 seem less than impressive.
- 2017/05/16: SLEIGHT (2017): Advertised as an “urban superhero” sorta flick, upon watching this, I think the film actually has more in common with classic film noir movies. There’s a protagonist, who’s basically a good person, who is forced to make less than legal decisions, and consequences flow from that. A good movie, and not a bad sophomore feature effort from the director. (Also, it’s pretty neat because the lead was born in Milwaukee!)
- 2017/06/07: THE BREAKUP (2006): A kinda romantic comedy about a couple breaking up. Starring Vince Vaughn and Jennifer Aniston, this was a re-watch for me, and confirmed, that yeah, not too bad, and not a typical “happily ever after” flick.
- 2017/06/12: MINDHORN (2016): A fun com-drama wherein a police department calls in a washed-up actor to revisit his role as a TV detective, since that’s the only person a possible serial-killer will talk to. A better-than-average script with some good twists, and fun character-acting. Def worth a watch if you dig British films (it’s all set on the Isle of Man).
- 2017/06/28: xXx (2002): I felt like watching a trashy action film and that is exactly what I got. Entertaining, and the European settings nice to see , was SO EXTREME (sarcasm intended).
- 2017/July: WONDER WOMAN (2017): about time that we get a >good< female-led superhero movie. Really enjoyed it!
- 2017/July: GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2 (2017): another fun space-adventure from Marvel, and for me, more enjoyable than the first film.
- 2017/07/20: DATE NIGHT (2010): I’ve watched this flick at least three times now, which is a lot for me. It’s sweet, fun, improbable, and silly, and Tina Fey and Steve Carrell do a whole lotta good here.
- 2017/07/23: BAD SANTA 2 (2016): As trashy, and maybe a lil trashier than the first film, but still fun if you don’t mind a Christmas film full of vulgarity, drunkeness, thievery, double-crosses, and some public sex. For me, Billy Bob Thornton is almost always fun to watch, and Christina Hendricks is a beauty (though her role is of little use to the film plot…).
- 2017/07/30: C.S.A. (2004): A mockumentary that wonders what the present day would be like…if the South had won the Civil War. Very interesting and a bit terrifying.
west on National,
friends dressed as superheroes
for Cosplay 5k!