- 17/early Nov: Thor Ragnarok (2017): Was a fun, colorful, dramatic, surprising fun ride. Marvel is making pretty good popcorn films.
- 17/11/19: Justice League (2017): Man, I went to this to see just how …bad it was going to be. Honest, it wasn’t awful…but it wasn’t that memorable either. Just a big ol’ “meh” from me.
- 17/11/27: X-Men Origins Wolverine (2009): I’d always heard that this was a pretty awful superhero film, and ….yep, it’s pretty bad. There’s some neat character ideas, but there’s plot holes and character choices that are just so THERE. Coulda been great, was as meh as Justice League.
- 17/11/27: Whip It (2009): Now this movie was FUN. Pretty standard “rebellious teenager coming of age (via ROLLER-DERBY)” story, but well-acted, a fun directorial debut from Drew Barrymore, and just nicely put-together.
- 12/01/17: What Happened Miss Simone? (2015): Wow, a real compelling documentary about singer/musician, Nina Simone. So talented, so driven, so tragic…her life was an arc that was filled with such highs and lows. A really interesting exploration of her life.
Mom pedaling hard,
two kids on the cargo-bike,
one holding flowers
Having heard lots of Twitter-chatter about the upcoming movie adaptation of A WRINKLE IN TIME, and how many women I knew who held great affection for the book, and yet I’d never even heard of it. I had to see what it was all about.
Turns out the thin novel by Madeleine L’Engle is about a young girl, her oddly mature younger brother, and a friend of hers, as they travel the universe trying to find her father who’s been missing for years. It’s a neat bit of whimsy, fantasy, hope and love, and learning to believe in yourself.
I will admit though, that I was a bit disappointed when I came to realize the book was more a “first chapter” in a few-book story, than a completely self-contained story. As I was reading and getting closer to the end, I was wondering, “wow, how is the author going to wrap this up?” and then suddenly the book was done.
I’ll probably go to see the movie when it comes out, just to see how it translates to the screen. Should be pretty neat, I think.
his clothes were dirty,
he talked to himself, fidgeted,
seemed so very lost
that nice morning run
is already a week past;
need to get moving
please, World, let me see
through the lens of gratitude;
every day, thankful.